Bites from the Bench: As part of a series of testing of sugar replacement in everyday snacks with TruSugr™, we will be posting weekly results. Follow us on LinkedIn and Instagram to stay on top of news.
Week 8: Sugar-Free and Reduced Sugar Pie Filling
The sugar replacement TruSugr™ challenge series pivoted from cakes to pies this week, focusing on the ever-so-versatile pie filling. A canned pie filing expedites the baking process and is often used in and on pies, cheesecakes, tarts and cobblers. The sweet, fruity, syrupy compotes are delicious albeit often ladened-with sugar or a risky sweetener.
For our testing, we focused on diminishing and/or eliminating the sugar in:
- Mixed Berry Pie Filling – mimicking a brand name that is trusted in the baking world
Our Food Scientists evaluated based on natural blueberry flavor, sweetness, and texture.
- 40% Reduced Sugar (RS) Mixed Berry Pie Filling: This was one of our food scientist’s favorite for balance. It was noted that the berry flavor became stronger up front, almost “jammier” with a classic sweet end note.
- 100% Sugar–free (SF) Mixed Berry Filling: Again, showcasing that natural sweetness of the mixed berries, the sugar-free rendition was a great success and allowed for a more complex – while still superbly sweet – taste experience.
- RS Mixed Berry Pie Filling: cost-savings is nearly 25% as compared to sugar cane
- SF Mixed Berry Pie Filling: cost-savings of nearly 60% as compared to sugar cane
What is TruSugr™ ?
TruSugr™ is a high-quality sugar replacement that includes our patented and patent-pending bitter blocker component. Many sugar substitutes have a lingering after-taste. Our taste technology erases that aftertaste, allowing the sweetness to shine.
What are the benefits of TruSugr™ ?
- The low usage rates ends up saving customers money, while providing the health benefits top tier CPG companies want.
- With the concerning recent news of sugar substitutes like aspartame and sucralose, TastesNatural™ is proud to provide a safer sugar replacement.
- Significantly more sustainable than beet sugar or cane sugar.
- Tooth-friendly and has a glycemic load of zero.
- TruSugr™ comes in an easy-to-mix fine powder form.
- Proven success in a variety of applications, and our in-house R+D team offers input on formulation, helping to streamline customer’s time and resources.
With “around 91% of consumers influenced by sugar-reduction claims,” and an option like TruSugr™, what are you waiting for?
As the slogan says, We Make Healthy Taste Good™.
Test it for yourself (for free) and experience better taste, naturally.
Previous Results of Sugar-free and Reduced Sugar Testing:
- Sugar-free Frosting
- Sugar-free Cake and Cupcakes
- Sugar-free Soda
- Sugar-free Pasta Sauce
- Sugar-free Crackers