Bites from the Bench: As part of a series of testing of sugar replacement in everyday snacks with TruSugr™, we will be posting weekly results. Follow us on LinkedIn and Instagram to stay on top of news.
Week 3: Sugar-free Pasta Sauce
The sugar replacement TruSugr™ challenge series continues into Week 3 with another pantry staple: pasta sauce. Hidden sugar in pasta sauce is a common issue that many people are unaware of. While pasta sauce may seem like a savory and healthy option, the reality is that many premade pasta sauces contain high amounts of added sugar.
This can be problematic for individuals who are trying to reduce their sugar intake or maintain a healthy diet overall.
In particular, the presence of pasta sauces in school lunches is another area that requires attention. With the high prevalence of hidden sugar in premade sauces, it is crucial that schools prioritize providing healthier options for their students.
With the USDA proposed limits on added sugars in school meals starting in 2025, it is a key time to be developing solutions that keep flavor a priority while simultaneously making food products healthier. By offering healthier options, we can ensure that children are getting a nutritious and balanced meal without compromising their health.
Our Food Scientists started with the goal of sugar-free (SF) and found:
- SF Pasta Sauce: The SF pasta sauce had a forward sweetness that melded nicely with the acidity of the tomatoes. It flavors landed in between a pizza sauce and a marinara. It was delicious, with no aftertaste.
- 50% Reduced Sugar Pasta Sauce: The balance achieved at 50% was striking. At this percentage, the flavor profile is more tomato-forward and is rounded out with a subtle sweetness. This is the office favorite.
- TruSugr™ is a reduction in price at both 50% reduced sugar and full sugar-free, saving companies money while offering a route to healthier options.
What is TruSugr™ ?
TruSugr™ is a high-quality sugar replacement that includes our patented and patent-pending bitter blocker component. Many sugar substitutes have a lingering after-taste. Our taste technology erases that aftertaste, allowing the sweetness to shine.
What are the benefits of TruSugr™ ?
- The low usage rates ends up saving customers money, while providing the health benefits top tier CPG companies want.
- With the concerning recent news of sugar substitutes like aspartame and sucralose, TastesNatural™ is proud to provide a safer sugar replacement.
- Significantly more sustainable than beet sugar or cane sugar.
- Tooth-friendly and has a glycemic load of zero.
- TruSugr™ comes in an easy-to-mix fine powder form.
- Proven success in a variety of applications, and our in-house R+D team offers input on formulation, helping to streamline customer’s time and resources.
With “around 91% of consumers influenced by sugar-reduction claims,” and an option like TruSugr™, what are you waiting for?
As the slogan says, We Make Healthy Taste Good™.
Test it for yourself (for free) and experience better taste, naturally. Our Sales team works with our in-house R+D team to help you achieve your goals. Save time and money, while making products healthier in one fell swoop.
Previous Results of Sugar-free and Reduced Sugar Testing: