Bites from the Bench: As part of a series of testing of sugar replacement in everyday snacks with TruSugr™, we will be posting weekly results. Follow us on LinkedIn and Instagram to stay on top of news.
Week 7: Sugar-reduced Frosting
The sugar replacement TruSugr™ challenge series continues with a sumptuous partner to all things cake: icing and frosting. We have all seen the versatility of frosting in deceiving cakes that look like onions, tool bags, and more. Here at TastesNatural™, we decided to take on the challenge of whipping up these often colorful coatings in reduced-sugar renditions. The results are astounding.
For our testing, we focused on diminishing the sugar while maintaining the texture and stability of frosting in two types:
- a buttercream frosting – mimicking one that is a common store-bought brand
- a vanilla frosting with sweeter end notes – mimicking another common brand
Reduced-sugar (RS): Our Food Scientists tested frostings substantially, also bringing in different thickening agents to test where best flavor and texture fell. Both samples were found to be best at 50% reduced sugar.
- RS Buttercream Frosting: This one we found even better than the store bought. A touch creamier while also increasing the lightness. Vanilla tasted stronger and the sweetness was balanced throughout the taste experience. It was spectacular.
- RS Vanilla Frosting: Results were yet again super strong. A near identical match of sweetness and yet the vanilla tasted a bit stronger, resulting in this being favored over the control as well.
- RS Buttercream Frosting: cost-savings is 35% as compared to sugar cane
- RS Vanilla Frosting: cost-savings of nearly 75% as compared to sugar cane
The taste is improved, the cost-savings is significant, and the health benefits of 50% reduced sugar are powerful considerations for wholesale frosting and icing companies.
What is TruSugr™ ?
TruSugr™ is a high-quality sugar replacement that includes our patented and patent-pending bitter blocker component. Many sugar substitutes have a lingering after-taste. Our taste technology erases that aftertaste, allowing the sweetness to shine.
What are the benefits of TruSugr™ ?
- The low usage rates ends up saving customers money, while providing the health benefits top tier CPG companies want.
- With the concerning recent news of sugar substitutes like aspartame and sucralose, TastesNatural™ is proud to provide a safer sugar replacement.
- Significantly more sustainable than beet sugar or cane sugar.
- Tooth-friendly and has a glycemic load of zero.
- TruSugr™ comes in an easy-to-mix fine powder form.
- Proven success in a variety of applications, and our in-house R+D team offers input on formulation, helping to streamline customer’s time and resources.
With “around 91% of consumers influenced by sugar-reduction claims,” and an option like TruSugr™, what are you waiting for?
As the slogan says, We Make Healthy Taste Good™.
Test it for yourself (for free) and experience better taste, naturally.
Previous Results of Sugar-free and Reduced Sugar Testing:
- Sugar-free Cake and Cupcakes
- Sugar-free Soda
- Sugar-free Pasta Sauce
- Sugar-free Crackers
- Sugar-free Condensed Milk
- Sugar-free Gummies
- Sugar-free Blueberry Muffin Snacks
- Sugar-free Oatmeal Cookies
- Sugar-free Dairy-free Milk and Creamer
- Sugar-free Sports Drinks
- Sugar-reduction by 85% in Flavored Syrups
- Sugar-free Chocolate: A Case Study